Luanti logo

IRC log for #luanti-dev, 2026-10-14

| Channels | #luanti-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
02:22 MTDiscord joined #luanti-dev
04:00 MTDiscord joined #luanti-dev
06:10 Sheriff_U3 joined #luanti-dev
06:50 Sheriff_U3 joined #luanti-dev
07:18 MTDiscord joined #luanti-dev
09:29 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
09:36 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
11:03 celeron55 i'll make ZenonSeth a core dev later today, if nobody objects (feel free to comment otherwise too)
11:40 rubenwardy +1
13:10 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
13:16 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
13:26 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
14:13 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
14:20 pgimeno_ joined #luanti-dev
14:23 MTDiscord joined #luanti-dev
14:25 swags joined #luanti-dev
14:28 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
14:28 pmp-p joined #luanti-dev
14:31 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
14:36 YuGiOhJCJ joined #luanti-dev
15:32 BuddyTheBud joined #luanti-dev
15:52 Krock the more the merrier
16:15 sfan5 when is our meeting
16:34 Panquesito7 joined #luanti-dev
16:36 Krock 18:00 UTC+2, in approx. 1.5 hours
16:36 Krock eh what am I saying
16:37 Krock 18:00 UTC+0  which is 20:00 UTC+2 for you
16:57 MTDiscord <crazyr.> Are you guys not using sone sort of ical to keep track of meeting and important dates?
17:03 sfan5 merging #17626, #17585, #17486, #17644, #17632 in 15m
17:03 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17626 -- [maybenosq] Fix craft bugs when inventory has no "main" list by Desour
17:03 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17585 -- Improve docs for core.place_node by Wuzzy2
17:03 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17486 -- Take player height into account when restricting building nodes into yourself by Wuzzy2
17:03 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17644 -- Make Enable Texture Pack button same width as Disable button by ZenonSeth
17:03 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17632 -- Fix high resolution hotbar scrolling by cx384
17:03 sfan5 no, they're just posted on github in advance
17:21 cx384 joined #luanti-dev
17:33 Krock Approx. 25 minutes until the meeting
17:35 Krock unknown minutes until the 15m are elapsed
17:36 sfan5 I'm on it
17:42 crazylad joined #luanti-dev
18:00 Krock Pinging those who reacted to the meeting announcement: Zughy @luatic cx384 sfan5
18:00 cx384 hi
18:00 sfan5 hello
18:00 MTDiscord <luatic> aloha
18:00 Krock Meeting topics: https://docs.luanti.org/for-engine-devs/meetings/#2026-10-14
18:00 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/2026 -- Fix endian.h include for FreeBSD by AMDmi3
18:01 Krock In order to get to the feature freeze - let's see what features should make it into 5.18.0
18:01 Krock milestone: https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/milestone/35
18:02 Krock Is there any urgent need for any of these features? otherwise I'd move them to 5.19.0
18:02 sfan5 perhaps the english thing if it's close to ready
18:03 sfan5 shoving matrix APIs in last minute would be premature
18:03 Krock the translation feature would be nice. unfortunately I did not review this earlier to give time for another development iteration
18:04 Krock any other opinions?
18:05 sfan5 I would like to nominate #16697 for inclusion in release
18:05 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/16697 -- Make static world lighting (light curve & AO) configurable via API by sfan5
18:06 Krock hmm yes that's also one that has been lying around for a while
18:07 sfan5 should be good to go after one re-review IMO. and the feature seems somewhat popular
18:08 Krock in order to release in November we'd have time until Saturday to start the Feature Freeze so that would be doing that
18:08 Krock *would be possible doing
18:08 [MatrxMT] <y5nw> I added the translation feature to the milestone primarily as a "counter-proposal" to a PR that would document the limitation of having English as the source language, but I am fine with having it in the next release
18:09 Krock added the "world lighting" PR to 5.18.0 to review and merge until Saturday. if that did not happen by then  -> move to 5.19.0
18:10 Krock same goes for the translation PR
18:10 sfan5 sounds fine
18:11 MTDiscord <luatic> light PR seems low risk from a quick look
18:11 Krock #17380 becomes a Blocker
18:11 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17380 -- Android SDK update by 1st November 2026
18:12 sfan5 the android compatibility stuff is always annoying
18:13 sfan5 needs to be investigated. personally I wouldn't mind letting chatgpt do it
18:13 Krock me neither. I could then give a quick shot on Android 6 as usual to ensure nothing broke
18:13 MTDiscord <luatic> ~~personally i'm partial to claude :juanchi_face: ~~
18:13 sfan5 to be clear I would test and review a PR but I do not want to be one working on it (AI or not)
18:14 Krock understandable. Hopefully we'll find a volunteer. Feature Freeze still allows merging that after all
18:15 MTDiscord <luatic> i can see what fable suggests
18:15 MTDiscord <luatic> and PR it if it looks ok
18:15 Krock Are there any other issues that need addressing, such as regressions? https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues?q=is%3Aissue+state%3Aopen+label%3ARegression
18:16 Krock Asking now because fixing stuff can take anywhere between days and years
18:16 sfan5 #17100 needs to be removed from the milestone. nobody is going to do it.
18:16 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17100 -- Crack overlay not visible on transparent pixels (some drawtypes)
18:17 sfan5 #17521 sounds important to fix before release
18:17 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17521 -- Regression: New animation system breaks nodecore idle animation.
18:17 Krock already moved once. now removing until a volunteer is found.
18:17 MTDiscord <luatic> i'll do #17521
18:17 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17521 -- Regression: New animation system breaks nodecore idle animation.
18:17 Krock assigned and milestone'd
18:18 Krock thank you.
18:18 Krock Interestingly I haven't seen any reports about the "array textures" glitches
18:19 sfan5 yeah it's weird
18:19 Krock set to 65k in 5.17.0 --> https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/blob/5.17.0/src/defaultsettings.cpp#L268
18:20 Krock perhaps we can close this in a few months if nothing new was reported
18:21 Krock Okay. If there's nothing else to add to the milestone, I'd suggest to set the Feature Freeze start to 2026-10-17, release approx. 1 Nov.
18:22 sfan5 sounds good
18:22 MTDiscord <luatic> mhm
18:22 Krock no objections = will write down as-is in the meeting notes
18:23 Krock So it's set.  Any other topics, PR discussions while we're at it?
18:24 MTDiscord <luatic> ZenonSeth being core dev'd would be an appropriate topic
18:25 Krock Yes. Hopefully their free time / timezone fits the meetings.
18:26 MTDiscord <luatic> i appreciate additional manpower, and he definitely seems to have the necessary qualifications, so i welcome him :)
18:26 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> I'm UK and i'm here, been reading
18:26 Krock perfect. welcome!
18:26 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> but if any objections, lmk
18:27 sfan5 welcome!
18:27 rubenwardy I object to the UK, it's a weird place
18:27 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> thanks :) hopefully can help
18:27 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> +1
18:27 Krock I generally ping people on the start of the meeting based on the reactions on the announcement post. FYI
18:28 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> that's fine, i wasn't sure if i should/shoudn't so np
18:29 Krock Using the attention span to ask whether there's any issue with #17348 or just lack of manpower/interest?
18:29 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17348 -- GUIChatConsole: Fix (smooth) scrolling by arrows by SmallJoker
18:30 sfan5 no time to look at it from my side
18:30 MTDiscord <luatic> no issue off the top of my head, just lack of energy
18:30 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> oh, I tested that briefly, didn't have any obvious issues other than the one i reported and its fixed
18:31 Krock glad to know it's not an issue with the PR (as of now). thanks.
18:33 Krock Seems there's no new topics. To summarize: enter Feature Freeze and do the RC build on 2026-10-17. I'll be around to do whatever needs to be done.
18:33 Krock Thanks for attending.
18:35 rubenwardy one more topic: organization draft for feedback in discussions :)
18:36 Krock https://github.com/orgs/luanti-org/discussions/177
18:36 sfan5 quick question: the release date would then be 31 oct, right?
18:37 Krock either 31 oct or 1 nov, depending on whether we can actually do the FF according to plan
18:37 crazylad joined #luanti-dev
18:37 Krock I wasn't sure either. Can do 31 oct if that fits better
18:38 sfan5 i probably won't be available on either day but 🤷
18:39 sfan5 I haven't had time to look at the org proposal either. I suggest we discuss it on GH
18:40 Krock 30 Oct or 2 Nov would still be OK, I guess? Let's see how it goes. Surely I would appreciate some bits of help during the release :)
18:40 sfan5 sure
18:40 Krock rubenwardy: frankly speaking I prefer bullet points and keywords over a wall of text but that might just be me
18:41 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> +1 on bulletpoints, same, and how i like to write too
18:41 rubenwardy i blame tiktok
18:42 rubenwardy I'd appreciate it if you put 1% of the effort we put into writing it into reading it
18:42 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> never used tiktok, but ofc
18:43 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> small less serious topic, would you be willing to entertain a small 'fun' PR for this release, lua buildin/ changes only, maybe 3 lines tops
18:43 sfan5 depends on what's in it
18:43 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> ofc, I can make it in a bit, just looking at when the planned release date is.
18:44 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> (hoping before 31st)
18:45 Krock rubenwardy: Well-written I must say. I'll read through the other sections at a later occasion and likely place some questions
18:46 Krock @.zenonseth Feel free to propose it. "fun" is nice and all, but the engine must be stable and useful
18:46 sfan5 Krock: I added a commit to #17643 if you'd like to check that
18:46 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17643 -- [no squash] A bunch of fixes by sfan5
18:52 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> Krock: no messing with engine stability, I assure you, PR made
18:54 crazylad woah what
18:55 crazylad (sorry if interrupting)
18:55 Krock sfan5: commented
18:57 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> re: document and legal matters, I think its good, I'm not a legal expert, but regarding funds and all, maybe some registration as a nonprofit, or similar to what Libera Chat ended up doing, maybe helpful? I don't know the costs with that though, hopefully not too large?
18:59 cx384 We have open collective for that?
19:03 MTDiscord <luatic> there are limitations to what open collective can do for us. an organization should certainly be beneficial for what it lets us do.
19:04 MTDiscord <luatic> for example, you can't really do an unpaid internship through open collective.
19:04 MTDiscord <luatic> but it might be beneficial for us to offer unpaid internships (hypothetically).
19:21 [MatrxMT] <Zughy> I'd suggest to avoid unpaid internships, because it's still work and work should be paid no matter what
19:27 rubenwardy the eventual goal might be to get a non-profit foundcation but we're not there yet
19:56 sfan5 should we horizontally center the renderer info?
19:59 Krock that would look nicer. Though it also suffers from space issues.
19:59 sfan5 it will wrap to three lines in the default font & window size
20:03 sfan5 changing the font size to *0.95 would fix it but not sure if we want to start doing that?
20:03 cx384 @.zenonset regarding a nonprofit, you may want to read the internal discussions # 131
20:03 sfan5 consistency and all
20:03 MTDiscord <wsor4035> @.zenonseth
20:05 cx384 In Germany you could found a "eingetragene Verein" (e.V.) to get a legal body. I think Codeberg did this, but it's a lot of work and I'm also not an expert.
20:07 cx384 The organization proposal looks good at a first glance.
20:21 crazylad joined #luanti-dev
20:36 sfan5 // Temporary fix for issue #12581 in 5.6.0.
20:36 sfan5 // Use legacy image when not rendering 9-slice image because GUIAnimatedImage
20:36 sfan5 // uses NNAA filter which causes visual artifacts when image uses alpha blending.
20:36 sfan5 cool
20:36 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/12581 -- Inventory slots in Repixture look different in 5.6.0-dev (with gui_scaling_filter = true)
20:37 sfan5 "temporary"
20:58 crazylad joined #luanti-dev
21:07 sfan5 man the irrlicht gui is still pretty ugly
21:08 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> a bit late and perhaps i should have looked earlier, but #17630 might be good to have in 5.18 - one line fix - because the cause (strict checking) isn't in 5.17, i think, so without this fix 5.18 would break on any mods with files like that
21:08 ShadowBot https://github.com/luanti-org/luanti/issues/17630 -- Allow and ignore 't' in file mode by paradust7
21:09 sfan5 it just needs a second approval
21:10 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> i did, left a comment too, had some look around before approving
21:11 sfan5 we can merge it then
21:13 MTDiscord <luatic> you have my blessings (though i still think those mod developers would do well to fix their mods)
21:13 MTDiscord <luatic> btw re Zughy: i'm not saying we should start giving random people unpaid internships to get some work out of them :p
21:13 sfan5 isn't a core developer role like an unpaid internship? ;)
21:15 MTDiscord <luatic> what made me think about this is when my little brother needed a two-week internship. it was very tricky to find one.
21:15 MTDiscord <luatic> he eventually got a nice one with teckids which also enabled him to go to FOSDEM, which was possible because teckids is an e.V.; it wouldn't have been possible with luanti.
21:17 MTDiscord <luatic> this is just one kind of random example that sprung to my mind, but generally at some point, you need some kind of legal entity to be able to do certain things at all
21:18 MTDiscord <luatic> the other thing (which is also vaguely referenced in the proposal) is that when it comes to legal disputes (which for example the DMCA takedown could've come to) you also want a legal entity
21:19 MTDiscord <luatic> conversely there is arguably some concern as to which additional obligations this would entail. that's not clear to me yet; i suppose it would depend strongly on which kind of entity is registered and under which jurisdiction.
21:33 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> i was looking at what libera chat did because i know they had some requirements, and they registered as a Swedish "ideell förening" - apparently a non-profit or voluntary association - which is free, just requires 3 people, and some basic outlines, which kind of match what the doc shared by ruben already was.  from their site
21:33 MTDiscord https://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/otherlanguages/englishengelska/businessesandemployers/nonprofitassociations.4.569165a01749e7ae7891106.html -
21:35 MTDiscord <.zenonseth> long term suggestion anyway, not saying this is the way or anything needs to happen soon :)
22:35 panwolfram joined #luanti-dev

| Channels | #luanti-dev index | Today | | Google Search | Plaintext